top of page
Frequently Asked Questions

Q. When should I move into a retirement village?

A. It’s up to you to decide when the right time is to move into a retirement village. Most people choose to make the move once they have retired and feel that their current home is too big to maintain, therefore are wanting to downsize.     

You can move into Jenny MacLeod Retirement Village anytime from the age of 55 years. Our village encourages independent living and is set up to meet the accommodation and social needs of seniors. 

Q. Will I own my villa or serviced apartment?

A. Under the Retirement Village Act, we grant you the right to occupy the premises as a ‘registered interest holder’. 


Q. What sort of ownership rights will I have?

A. The Retirement Villages Act 1999 (NSW), and the Retirement Villages Regulation 2009 (NSW) protects your right to occupy your home.  


A registered long-term lease means a lease registered under the Real Property Act 1900 (NSW) that has a term of at least 50 years (including any option to renew), or is for the life of the lessee.  

Terms and Conditions for living at Jenny MacLeod Retirement Village are outlined in our Retirement Village Contract which is a legal agreement.  

This agreement covers the Rights and Responsibilities of residents and the village operator (and management).  

Q. Can I access aged care if I need it?  

A. We do not have an aged care home on site. However, we work closely with Wallsend Manor Aged Care.  


We do offer serviced apartment living that includes a comprehensive range of services for those finding the chores of day-to-day living a little more difficult. Services include meals, daily organized activities, weekly servicing of the apartment, laundry, On Call Care plus a registered nurse. There are ongoing service fees.


If you live in an independent living villa and need help with certain tasks, we can help you find a Home Care service provider.  


Q. Can I have guests stay at my place?

A. Guests are more than welcome to stay overnight with you. However, depending on the length of stay, please advise village management and seek approval. This is to ensure the safety and security of all residents within the village.  


Q. How do I secure a villa or serviced apartment?

A. Effectively you purchase a guaranteed right to occupy your premises for as long as you need. There are no individual titles for individual villas for services apartments. A holding deposit is required to secure your chosen home of $1,000. Upon signing the legal agreement a further deposit is required (less the initial holding deposit).  


Q. What if I change my mind after I move in?

A. There is a cooling-off period. This is on the 7th business day after the date you gave us a signed copy of the legal agreement. You can rescind the agreement by giving us a rescission notice and we will repay you all money paid under the agreement. You waive the right to rescind if you move into your premises.


There is also a settling-in period of 90 days. If you decide to permanently vacate the premises during this period, we will refund you the entry payment and any recurrent fees paid to us. However, you may be charged for incurred fees and costs relating to your occupied premises during this time.


Q. What happens when I decide to leave?     

A. The legal agreement terminates and your rights to occupy the premises ends from the date specified in your notice period or where we have given you notice to vacate.      

You are not required to refurbish your premises. Your entry payment will be refunded along with any capital gains entitlements and minus any outstanding fees and charges.


The process of finding a new resident for your premises will be handled by us.

If you have any further questions, please call us on 02 4951 6637.

bottom of page